226. One thing to keep in mind is three aspects necessary for speech: The words which are the conveyors of meanings, the meanings (the significations) that are being pointed to by the words, and their relationships. It is only in the Qur’an that the highest of these aspects has been reached in the same work, and this has been pointed out by the scholars of Arabic language as one of the clearest signs of the linguistic miracle of the Qur’an. And some scholars have mentioned that the blending together of the words and meanings is the Continue reading
201. The original libertines who lived within the Muslim community said that there comes a time when the worshipper or adept reaches such a height of divine love that all the rules of the Shariah drop from him (i.e. he does not have to do them), and he only has to think about Allah, and he is able to go to Heaven directly by his thoughts, and so forth. But this is an ugly thing to say and disbelief, since the Prophets (Alayhim as-Salaam) were never above the Shariah, and whatever of elevated positions or elevated places they reached was because Allah elevated them to that place, not because of their deeds. Continue reading
176. Contrary to what some deviants say, Paradise and Hellfire have already been created, and this is known from the text of the Qur’an where Allah mentions their current existence, since the Arabic points to the past tense (meaning it has already been created). Thus, there is no need to go from the literal past to a figurative future without a strong reason, and this strong reason is not forthcoming, neither from the primary texts nor from the arguments of our opponents. Continue reading
151. There are different types of ‘intention of the heart’, which are named: As-Saanih, Al-Khaatir, Al-Fikr, Al-Iraadah, Al-Hamm, and finally al-‘Azm. It is only this last stage, where the firm intention for accomplishing the act is present in the heart, when accountability is established.
152. There is a difference between Ma’rifah (cognizance) and Imaan (faith). The first one only involves a knowledge (even a passing one) that a certain thing is in a certain way, while Imaan is the internal acceptance and declaration that it is as such – and thus, the category of Ma’rifah may not necessarily imply Imaan. Continue reading
126. Allah’s Attributes are not Him nor other than Him. Thus, these are meanings that are eternally true of Allah the Exalted – and thus, they are not entities or beings, they are ‘not Him’. If one were to say they were Him, then there are two potential problems, one of them that there would be multiple gods (because Knowledge would be an independent Eternal being, Power would be an independent Eternal being, and so on); or that Allah would not be a Being, but only an abstract Attribute or set of Attributes, and this is the ideology of Daoists, Hindus, and others, and this is impossible. Continue reading
101. The Ibaahiyah (i.e. ‘libertines’) were present in the Islamic society even in the beginning periods of Islam. And even though their arguments may have been more God-centered than what we see of libertines today, yet the main idea was the same, that everything is literally ‘Halaal’, and that there are no restrictions whatsoever. And again, the ‘Ulaamaa of the previous centuries were able to stand against them and neutralize their influence among the great masses of believers, unlike what we see today of the difficulties in getting our message across (this is what I personally see and feel). Continue reading
76. One matter that seems surprising about the modern-day approach to pushing the limits of humanity in what he can ‘progress’ in, and in unhindered accumulation of goods and pleasures, is that the lack of restraint is seen not only in spiritual and religious matters (which, since they are related to the Ghayb, may be dismissed by many), but even in those things related to this very visible material world. This is why developed and now even ‘developing’ countries have their financial institutions underpinned by usury, obesity-related health problems, even the destruction of the planet itself. Continue reading